Introduction to Color Theory
Dive into color theory with Debby Hughes in an all-new card class from Online Card Classes.
HOW TO MAKE THE COLOR WHEEL WORK FOR YOU!
Join frequent Online Card Classes contributor and artist Debby Hughes for an eye-opening introduction to color theory. Explore the color wheel, how colors relate to one another, and how to combine colors for pleasing-to-the-eye card designs. Guest artists will be sharing card examples as well! Each card featured in class comes with a complete video tutorial and plenty of support in our Forums to help you along the way.
ONLINE CARD CLASSES’ INTRO TO COLOR THEORY INCLUDES:
- 7 lesson videos from Debby
- 5 card videos from guest artists
- PDFs with step-by-step written instructions that you can print out and take anywhere.
- A forum for discussion between students and Debby
- A student gallery to show your work!
INFO ON CLASS CONTENT
Class lessons, PDF instructions, and videos are provided in English. At this time, videos are not subtitled or captioned. We hope to provide this in the future.
When you register for class, you have lifetime access to all class materials.
- Wednesday, September 26, Day 1 – Colour Wheel, Primary, Secondary & Tertiary Colours
- Thursday, September 27, Day 2 – Monochromatic & Analogous
- Friday, September 29, Day 3 – Complementary & Split Complementary
- Friday, October 5, Wrap-Up Day – Announcing Giveaway Winners + more!
Listed below is a general supplies list so you will have an idea as to the type of supplies that will be used in class. If you’re a card maker, you’ll likely have many of these in your arsenal already. Specific supplies lists will be provided on each class day, but remember to shop your stash and use what you have to hand.
All items are available in online stores or your local arts and crafts stores. For your convenience, items available at Simon Says Stamp and Amazon are linked.
paper / CARDstock
- Watercolour paper. Debby likes to use Arches Cold Pressed watercolour paper [SSS/AMZUS]
- Thick cardstock for card bases such as Neenah Solar White 110lb card [SSS/AMZUS]
Not essential but a great way to explore colour and create your own colour wheel. In the class Debby used Daniel Smith watercolours as follows:
- Quinacridone Rose [SSS/AMZUS]
- Hansa Yellow Light [SSS/AMZUS]
- Cerulean Blue Chromium [SSS/AMZUS]
- Black such as Lunar Black for creating shades [SSS/AMZUS]
A great and inexpensive range of watercolour brushes are those by Princeton. Debby used the Princeton Heritage 4050R range:
- Princeton Heritage 4050R size 6 [AMZUS]
A great alternative to wet media are coloured card and ink pads. Gina K has a 2018 Add-On Colour Collection with many of the colours included in the pack being useful on a colour wheel. You can find the card here [SSS] and the inks here [SSS].
A few stamps to use while creating cards to practice colour theory
- Clear or rubber stamps
- Sentiment stamps
Dies are always useful. Debby used these Nested Circles dies [SSS] to draw around when creating her colour wheel and colour swatches. Other useful dies are:
- Word and sentiment dies
- Shaped dies
- Background dies such as a favourite of Debby’s the Wonky Rectangles dies [SSS]
- Dye inks such as Simon Says Stamp, Hero Arts, GinaK, Altenew etc
- Marker friendly ink such as Simon Says Stamp Intense Black [SSS], GinaK Jet Black Amalgam [SSS], Memento Tuxedo Black [SSS]
- Waterproof ink such as Versafine Onyx Black [SSS]
- Clear embossing ink such as this one from Simon Says Stamp [SSS] or Versamark [SSS]
- Markers such as Copic [SSS]
- Watercolours such as Daniel Smith [SSS], Gansai Tambi [SSS], Prima [SSS], Altenew [SSS]
- Eraser such as Helix Oxford Eraser [AMZUS]
- T square ruler [SSS]
- Artists Putty [AMZUS]
- Bone Folder – Debby uses a Teflon bone folder [SSS]
- Paper Trimmer [SSS]
- 3M Blue Painters Tape [SSS]
- 3M Scotch Foam Adhesive for adhering and building dimension [SSS]
- Tape runner such as Altenew [SSS]
- Wet adhesive such as Ranger Multi Medium Matte [SSS] or Nuvo Deluxe [SSS]
- Heat tool for drying and also heat embossing [SSS]
- Powder bag [SSS]
- Embossing Powder [SSS]
- Scoring board for scoring card bases [SSS]
- Die cutting machine
- MISTI [SSS] or other stamp positioning tool
- Craft mat such as this one from Tonic [SSS]
- Ink blending tool [SSS] and replacement foam pads [SSS]
NOTE: The links above are affiliate links. By no means should you feel obligated to use these links, but know that if you do purchase through any affiliate links, your support is very much appreciated. Thank you kindly.
|Class Type||Class Dates||Class Price||Independent||N/A||$16|